Some Xavier University Classes Return to Online Mode Due to ‘Rising Crime’ in CDO

0
Expansive campus of Xavier University in downtown Cagayan de Oro, complete with soccer field. MindaNews File Photo by BOBBY TIMONERA

CAGAYAN DE ORO (MindaNews/September 2) – Rising crime in the city has forced the Jesuit-owned Xavier University-Ateneo de Cagayan to suspend some of its face-to-face university classes starting Friday.

Xavier University Vice President for Higher Education Juliet Dalagan said classes scheduled from 4:30 p.m. will have to return to online mode from September 1 through September 9.

Dalagan said their students were in danger due to increasing crime in the city.

“In light of the alarming criminal cases in the city, all classes scheduled from 4:30 p.m. must be recited online from September 1 through September 9,” Dalagan said in the memorandum to all colleges and departments at the university. .

He said face-to-face classes will resume once the school administration deems crime has decreased.

Mayor Rolando Uy assured Xavier University officials that crime prevention is one of his administration’s key programs.

Uy said the crimes cited by the school were “isolated cases” and statistics from the Cagayan de Oro City Police Office showed there was a decrease.

He said the city’s police bureau had only recorded three criminal incidents in the past week.

“We have a weekly average of seven crimes over the past three weeks. It’s an all-time low,” the mayor said.

Xavier University’s move came after its central student government called for classes, especially those in the evening, to be restored to online mode due to the crime problem.

The students cited reports of robberies, murders and kidnappings over the past week which they say put them at risk.

Among them were the July 17 murder and rape of a delivery courier and his girlfriend in Barangay Lapasan, the murder of a parking attendant outside Xavier University, and the murder of a habal-habal driver in the back of the same school last August. 31.

Lieutenant Colonel Surki Sereñas, deputy director of the city’s police office, said he solved most of the crimes mentioned by the students and arrested the perpetrators.

Sereñas said the killer of the habal-habal driver had already been identified.

“If we didn’t prevent it, we will investigate and fix it,” he said.

The police chief said 98% of the total crimes recorded in the city from January to July this year have been solved or erased.

“From January to July, all rape cases in the city were either closed or solved. Cagayan de Oro is still a peaceful place,” he said. (Froilan Gallardo/MindaNews)

Share.

Comments are closed.